Follow Me on Pinterest

Instagram

Polka Dot Rosie

Pages

Friday, March 21, 2014

Masculine Birthday Card Using DIY Stencils--PS SPARKS Challenge

Hi there :) I didn't get to submit this card for the Paper Smooches Guest Designer Search like I had intended because some unexpected things popped up and I missed the deadline, so I decided to submit it for their SPARKS challenge instead! Since it is an "Anything Goes" challenge this week, I decided to push myself out of my comfort zone. I always struggle coming up with masculine cards, probably because I am a woman, so I decided to embrace it and challenge myself to try a new technique on a masculine card and the result is darling!  I'm so excited to give this to someone!

One of the techniques I wanted to try was making my own stencils, so I grabbed my balloon dies and went for it! I am so happy with how it turned out! I was initially going for a blue and yellow theme, but I colored the embossing paste myself and after falling in love with this shade, I decided to hold off on the yellow.


After stenciling the balloons, I sprinkled them with glitter embossing powder, then let them dry before using my heating tool.  The balloon strings were drawn on with a black Sharpie and I used black floss for the bow. I don't often make cards have a little something hanging off the side and I don't really know why. I should probably do it more often because I really like the way it looks. I walked into this card challenge with a challenge for myself and I'm really happy with the final outcome :)

Here is a list of supplies that I used:

Paper Smooches Balloon Dies
Sizzix Big Kick
Broken China Distress Ink
Dreamweaver Stencils Embossing Paste
Recollections Glitter Embossing Powder
Heat Tool
Black Fine Point Sharpie Marker
Fiskar's Apron Lace Border Punch
Sew Easy Black Floss
Pop Dots
Indie Chic "Nutmeg" 6x6 Paper Pad
We R Memory Keepers Corner Chomper

Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope you liked it :)







2 comments:

  1. LOVE your balloons and cas design! Thanks so much for playing with us at SPARKS this week, hugs, Karin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Karin! I'm really happy to be joining you this week! It's been a lot of fun :) xx

      Delete

No need to be shy! I love getting comments and appreciate every one :)